What are American Values/Ideals?
Interested in using this conversation guide? Click here to register your conversation with us!
(Doing so helps us improve – thank you!)
The current polarized climate might suggest we have deep disagreements about American values/ideals, and live out of conflicting understandings. But what exactly are American values/ideals? What do you most value about the United States? Do they derive from our founding documents, so you look to “the inalienable right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness”? Or the Constitution and Bill of Rights — protecting the rights of individuals from government overreach, foreign threats and the passions of the people. Or do they derive from something else entirely? Let’s rediscover our shared American values/ideals.
Background Information:While you don’t need to be an expert on this topic, sometimes people want background information. Our partner, AllSides, has prepared a variety of articles reflecting multiple sides of this topic.
Let's Get Started!
This Living Room Conversation flows through three rounds of questions and a closing. Some rounds ask you to answer each question. Others feature multiple questions that serve as conversation starters — you need only respond to the one or two you find most interesting.
Introductions: Getting Started/
Why Are We Here?
Round 1: Core Values
- What sense of purpose / mission / duty guides you in your life?
- What would your best friend say about who you are and what inspires you?
- What are your hopes and concerns for your community and/or the country?
What are your thoughts on What are American Values/Ideals??
- What are you most proud of as an American? Is there anything of which you are ashamed? How do each of these relate to our values?
- What would you define as “American values”? How are these unique to our country, or are they?
- If you were describing American values to someone, what would you say?
Round 3: Reflection & Next Steps
- In one sentence, share what was most meaningful or valuable to you in the experience of this Living Room Conversation?
- What new understanding or common ground did you find within this topic?
- Has this conversation changed your perception of anyone in this group, including yourself?
- Name one important thing that was accomplished here.
- Is there a next step you would like to take based upon the conversation you just had?