Religious Freedom and Non-Discrimination
Interested in using this conversation guide? Click here to register your conversation with us!
(Doing so helps us improve – thank you!)
Our constitution guarantees our freedom to express our religion. But what happens when our religious beliefs impact others in society? How can we honor and respect others with different viewpoints? Most recently, the Supreme Court ruled that gay marriage was the law of the land. But what about traditionalists whose creed says that it is a sin? This conversation is about the line between individual rights and community values…plus the role of government.
Let's Get Started!
This Living Room Conversation flows through three rounds of questions and a closing. Some rounds ask you to answer each question. Others feature multiple questions that serve as conversation starters — you need only respond to the one or two you find most interesting.
Introductions: Getting Started/
Why Are We Here?
Round 1: Core Values
- What sense of purpose / mission / duty guides you in your life?
- What would your best friend say about who you are and what inspires you?
- What are your hopes and concerns for your community and/or the country?
What are your thoughts on Religious Freedom and Non-Discrimination?
- What have you witnessed or experienced in the conflict between traditional religious and gay communities?
- What do you wish to understand about the other viewpoint?
- Is it possible to strike a balance between religious freedom or unfair discrimination? If so, how?
- Is there anything that is not being understood or considered in the current conversation right now?
Round 3: Reflection & Next Steps
- In one sentence, share what was most meaningful or valuable to you in the experience of this Living Room Conversation?
- What new understanding or common ground did you find within this topic?
- Has this conversation changed your perception of anyone in this group, including yourself?
- Name one important thing that was accomplished here.
- Is there a next step you would like to take based upon the conversation you just had?