Ranked Choice Voting
Interested in using this conversation guide? Click here to register your conversation with us!
(Doing so helps us improve – thank you!)
Most of us want the healthiest democracy we can design. Are our current voting systems producing the best outcomes for citizens? Some people believe that ranked choice voting produces an outcome more reflective of the majority of citizen’s wishes. It has also been argued that ranked choice voting can reduce negative campaigning, allows voters more choices and saves money. Are our democratic processes serving us well?
Background Information:While you don’t need to be an expert on this topic, sometimes people want background information. You can read a rundown of Ranked Choice Voting, how it works, and its history here.
Let's Get Started!
This Living Room Conversation flows through three rounds of questions and a closing. Some rounds ask you to answer each question. Others feature multiple questions that serve as conversation starters — you need only respond to the one or two you find most interesting.
Introductions: Getting Started/
Why Are We Here?
Round 1: Core Values
- What sense of purpose / mission / duty guides you in your life?
- What would your best friend say about who you are and what inspires you?
- What are your hopes and concerns for your community and/or the country?
What are your thoughts on Ranked Choice Voting?
- Are you currently satisfied with local, state and national voting practices?
- Is there anything you would like to improve in our current voting practices?
- What do you think of ranked choice voting? Are there aspects you like? Aspects you do not like?
- Do you normally vote in primaries and/or general elections?
- How do you decide your vote?
Round 3: Reflection & Next Steps
- In one sentence, share what was most meaningful or valuable to you in the experience of this Living Room Conversation?
- What new understanding or common ground did you find within this topic?
- Has this conversation changed your perception of anyone in this group, including yourself?
- Name one important thing that was accomplished here.
- Is there a next step you would like to take based upon the conversation you just had?