Political Dysfunction and Reform
Politically, these are unhealthy and politically dangerous times for our country. Public trust in government is hovering near all-time lows and vicious political partisanship is tearing civil society apart. These truths seem as self-evident as any. Where do we go from here? And what is our role as citizens?
Let's Get Started!
This Living Room Conversation flows through three rounds of questions and a closing. Some rounds ask you to answer each question. Others feature multiple questions that serve as conversation starters — you need only respond to the one or two you find most interesting.
Introductions: Getting Started/
Why Are We Here?
Round 1: Core Values
- What sense of purpose / mission / duty guides you in your life?
- What would your best friend say about who you are and what inspires you?
- What are your hopes and concerns for your community and/or the country?
What are your thoughts on Political Dysfunction and Reform?
- What is the role of politics in your own life?
- What is going wrong in our politics? What is going right?
- Are elections in the United States fair?
- Do our elected representatives faithfully represent us? Has “compromise” become a dirty word? Should it be?
- How do we citizens promote dysfunction?
- How do we promote effective government?
Round 3: Reflection & Next Steps
- In one sentence, share what was most meaningful or valuable to you in the experience of this Living Room Conversation?
- What new understanding or common ground did you find within this topic?
- Has this conversation changed your perception of anyone in this group, including yourself?
- Name one important thing that was accomplished here.
- Is there a next step you would like to take based upon the conversation you just had?