Muslim Refugees and National Security
Interested in using this conversation guide? Click here to register your conversation with us!
(Doing so helps us improve – thank you!)
This conversation touches on some of our core values. Our need to balance constitutional rights and generosity with prudence. Balancing freedom and security- safety and care for other people whose lives are at risk due to political, ethnic and religious conflict.
Let's Get Started!
This Living Room Conversation flows through three rounds of questions and a closing. Some rounds ask you to answer each question. Others feature multiple questions that serve as conversation starters — you need only respond to the one or two you find most interesting.
Introductions: Getting Started/
Why Are We Here?
Round 1: Core Values
- What sense of purpose / mission / duty guides you in your life?
- What would your best friend say about who you are and what inspires you?
- What are your hopes and concerns for your community and/or the country?
What are your thoughts on Muslim Refugees and National Security?
- How have you been personally impacted by the refugee crisis in the Middle East?
- Do you have concerns about your family’s safety? If so what are you most worried about?
- Which American values are most in play or at risk in considering Muslim refugees for resettlement in the U.S.?
- Do you have people of Muslim faith in your community? What role do they play?
- Is it possible to be welcoming of refugees and concerned about terrorists crossing borders? If so, what kinds of solutions could address both considerations?
- Was there something you were hoping to ask or share in this conversation?
Round 3: Reflection & Next Steps
- In one sentence, share what was most meaningful or valuable to you in the experience of this Living Room Conversation?
- What new understanding or common ground did you find within this topic?
- Has this conversation changed your perception of anyone in this group, including yourself?
- Name one important thing that was accomplished here.
- Is there a next step you would like to take based upon the conversation you just had?