Money and Values
Interested in using this conversation guide? Click here to register your conversation with us!
(Doing so helps us improve – thank you!)
How we earn, spend and invest our money impacts individuals, communities, the environment and the world. Some people say that how we use our money shows what we truly value. How, if at all, does money serve that role for you? This conversation seeks to reflect on our financial choices so we may find ways to act in greater harmony with our values.
Let's Get Started!
This Living Room Conversation flows through three rounds of questions and a closing. Some rounds ask you to answer each question. Others feature multiple questions that serve as conversation starters — you need only respond to the one or two you find most interesting.
Introductions: Getting Started/
Why Are We Here?
Round 1: Core Values
- What sense of purpose / mission / duty guides you in your life?
- What would your best friend say about who you are and what inspires you?
- What are your hopes and concerns for your community and/or the country?
What are your thoughts on Money and Values?
- What are the things you like about the way you spend/invest your money?
- Are there areas where you want to shift the way you spend/invest?
- Do we have responsibilities to use our money in a way that reflects our values? Or would this complicate our lives too much?
- What does money mean or represent to you? (i.e. security, power, exchange or ?)
Round 3: Reflection & Next Steps
- In one sentence, share what was most meaningful or valuable to you in the experience of this Living Room Conversation?
- What new understanding or common ground did you find within this topic?
- Has this conversation changed your perception of anyone in this group, including yourself?
- Name one important thing that was accomplished here.
- Is there a next step you would like to take based upon the conversation you just had?