Interested in using this conversation guide? Click here to register your conversation with us!
(Doing so helps us improve – thank you!)
As the push for legalization spreads across the US, a different conversation emerges around marijuana. Proponents see this as an advance in freedom and liberty, trusting adults to decide what is best about a substance that is equated with alcohol and nicotine. On the other side, critics see the march to legalization as yet another step in the loosening moral discipline of our country. What are the new questions to ask? How do we envision our lives where/when marijuana is legal? What are results from states with early legalization? How should tax revenues be allocated?
Background Information:While you don’t need to be an expert on this topic, sometimes people want background information. Our partner, AllSides, has prepared a variety of articles reflecting multiple sides of this topic.
Let's Get Started!
This Living Room Conversation flows through three rounds of questions and a closing. Some rounds ask you to answer each question. Others feature multiple questions that serve as conversation starters — you need only respond to the one or two you find most interesting.
Introductions: Getting Started/
Why Are We Here?
Round 1: Core Values
- What sense of purpose / mission / duty guides you in your life?
- What would your best friend say about who you are and what inspires you?
- What are your hopes and concerns for your community and/or the country?
What are your thoughts on Legalized Marijuana?
- How will legalization change our community?
- What are your thoughts about edibles and other forms of marijuana?
- Assuming there is substantial tax revenue, how would you recommend allocating this revenue?
Round 3: Reflection & Next Steps
- In one sentence, share what was most meaningful or valuable to you in the experience of this Living Room Conversation?
- What new understanding or common ground did you find within this topic?
- Has this conversation changed your perception of anyone in this group, including yourself?
- Name one important thing that was accomplished here.
- Is there a next step you would like to take based upon the conversation you just had?