Hunger and Health
We all want to ensure that everyone in our community has access to healthy, consistently available food options. The purpose of this Living Room Conversation about Hunger and Health is to share perspectives on food insecurity in our community, and to create new relationships between people who do not currently share the same viewpoints. We also want to encourage new ideas, opportunities, and sustained participation in solutions that will benefit this community.
Background Information:While you don’t need to be an expert on this topic, sometimes people want background information. Our partner, AllSides, has prepared a variety of articles reflecting multiple sides of this topic. Intended Outcomes of this Hunger and Health Conversation
Let's Get Started!
This Living Room Conversation flows through three rounds of questions and a closing. Some rounds ask you to answer each question. Others feature multiple questions that serve as conversation starters — you need only respond to the one or two you find most interesting.
Introductions: Getting Started/
Why Are We Here?
Round 1: Core Values
- What sense of purpose / mission / duty guides you in your life?
- What would your best friend say about who you are and what inspires you?
- What are your hopes and concerns for your community and/or the country?
Hunger and Health
- How do you define healthy food? How about unhealthy food?
- Have you ever experienced a time of food insecurity in your life? What happened?.
- Are food assistance programs (like SNAP (food stamps) important to you? Why or why not?
- How could we make healthier food more accessible to all? And who is responsible for making that happen? (e.g. the government, communities, individuals?)
- How important is nutrition education? If it is important, where in your view should we learn about nutrition? How did you learn about nutrition?
Round 3: Reflection & Next Steps
- In one sentence, share what was most meaningful or valuable to you in the experience of this Living Room Conversation?
- What new understanding or common ground did you find within this topic?
- Has this conversation changed your perception of anyone in this group, including yourself?
- Name one important thing that was accomplished here.
- Is there a next step you would like to take based upon the conversation you just had?