Guns and Responsibility
Guns, the second amendment, and gun control are topics that often bring forth strong passions and opinions. They are repeatedly used to put people into two neat categories: those for stronger gun rights and those for stronger gun control, Republicans and Democrats, liberals and conservatives. However things are not always that simple. This conversation focuses on our own personal experience with guns and how these experiences have shaped our opinions. This conversation seeks to help us develop a deeper understanding of the opportunities and challenges surrounding gun ownership.
While you don’t need to be an expert on this topic, sometimes people want background information. Our partner, AllSides, has prepared a variety of articles reflecting multiple sides of this topic. You can also check out our podcast on Guns and Responsibility here.
Let's Get Started!
This Living Room Conversation flows through three rounds of questions and a closing. Some rounds ask you to answer each question. Others feature multiple questions that serve as conversation starters — you need only respond to the one or two you find most interesting.
Introductions: Getting Started/
Why Are We Here?
Round 1: Core Values
- What sense of purpose / mission / duty guides you in your life?
- What would your best friend say about who you are and what inspires you?
- What are your hopes and concerns for your community and/or the country?
What are your thoughts on Guns and Responsibility ?
- What role have guns played in your life?
- Where did you learn about guns? And what did you learn?
- Are gun/second amendment issues very important to you?
- Is there anything you would change about current gun laws or regulation in your state or at the federal level?
Round 3: Reflection & Next Steps
- In one sentence, share what was most meaningful or valuable to you in the experience of this Living Room Conversation?
- What new understanding or common ground did you find within this topic?
- Has this conversation changed your perception of anyone in this group, including yourself?
- Name one important thing that was accomplished here.
- Is there a next step you would like to take based upon the conversation you just had?