Guaranteed National Income
Interested in using this conversation guide? Click here to register your conversation with us!
(Doing so helps us improve – thank you!)
What would happen if we had a National Basic Income (NBI)? Every citizen of the country is
guaranteed to receive money, regardless of circumstances. This idea has
been around for a few decades as a potential solution to ending poverty.
It has also been championed as a way to reduce social programs and
government bureaucracy. In the spring of 2016, Switzerland voted down a
referendum on this, but Finland is drafting a plan which will be
presented via referendum in late 2016. While some fear automation will
shrink available jobs, others see NBI as a way to stimulate the economy.
We invite you to engage in a little dreaming about what our future
Background Information:While you don’t need to be an expert on this topic, sometimes people want background information. Our partner, AllSides, has prepared a variety of articles reflecting multiple sides of this topic.
Let's Get Started!
Why We're Here (~10 min)
Share your name, where you live, what drew you here, and if this is your first conversation.
How We'll Engage (~5 min)
These will set the tone of our conversation; participants may volunteer to take turns reading them aloud. (Click here for the full conversation agreements.)
- Be curious and listen to understand.
- Show respect and suspend judgment.
- Note any common ground as well as any differences.
- Be authentic and welcome that from others.
- Be purposeful and to the point.
- Own and guide the conversation.
What We’ll Talk About
Optional: a participant can keep track of time and gently let people know when their time has elapsed.
Getting to Know Each Other (~10 min)
Each participant can take 1-2 minutes to answer one of these questions:
- What sense of purpose / mission / duty guides you in your life?
- What would your best friend say about who you are and what inspires you?
- What are your hopes and concerns for your community and/or the country?
What are your thoughts on Guaranteed National Income? (~40 min)
One participant can volunteer to read the paragraph at the top of the web page.
Take ~2 minutes each to answer a question below without interruption or crosstalk. The group may choose to have everyone answer: A) whichever question speaks to them individually or B) the same question with an option to pass. Once everyone has answered, the group may take a few minutes for any clarifying or follow up questions/responses. Continue exploring with other topic or related questions as time allows.
- If you knew you had a survival level of income, guaranteed, how would your life change?
- How do you think a guaranteed basic income would impact your community?
- How do you think other people would respond to a survival level of income?
- What conditions, if any, would you place on receiving a basic income?
Reflecting on the Conversation (~15 min)
Take 2 minutes to answer one of the following questions:
- In one sentence, share what was most meaningful or valuable to you in the experience of this Living Room Conversation?
- What new understanding or common ground did you find within this topic?
- Has this conversation changed your perception of anyone in this group, including yourself?
- Name one important thing that was accomplished here.
- Is there a next step you would like to take based upon the conversation you just had?