Guaranteed National Income
Interested in using this conversation guide? Click here to register your conversation with us!
(Doing so helps us improve – thank you!)
What would happen if we had a National Basic Income (NBI)? Every citizen of the country is
guaranteed to receive money, regardless of circumstances. This idea has
been around for a few decades as a potential solution to ending poverty.
It has also been championed as a way to reduce social programs and
government bureaucracy. In the spring of 2016, Switzerland voted down a
referendum on this, but Finland is drafting a plan which will be
presented via referendum in late 2016. While some fear automation will
shrink available jobs, others see NBI as a way to stimulate the economy.
We invite you to engage in a little dreaming about what our future
Background Information:While you don’t need to be an expert on this topic, sometimes people want background information. Our partner, AllSides, has prepared a variety of articles reflecting multiple sides of this topic.
Let's Get Started!
This Living Room Conversation flows through three rounds of questions and a closing. Some rounds ask you to answer each question. Others feature multiple questions that serve as conversation starters — you need only respond to the one or two you find most interesting.
Introductions: Getting Started/
Why Are We Here?
Round 1: Core Values
- What sense of purpose / mission / duty guides you in your life?
- What would your best friend say about who you are and what inspires you?
- What are your hopes and concerns for your community and/or the country?
What are your thoughts on Guaranteed National Income?
- If you knew you had a survival level of income, guaranteed, how would your life change?
- How do you think a guaranteed basic income would impact your community?
- How do you think other people would respond to a survival level of income?
- What conditions, if any, would you place on receiving a basic income?
Round 3: Reflection & Next Steps
- In one sentence, share what was most meaningful or valuable to you in the experience of this Living Room Conversation?
- What new understanding or common ground did you find within this topic?
- Has this conversation changed your perception of anyone in this group, including yourself?
- Name one important thing that was accomplished here.
- Is there a next step you would like to take based upon the conversation you just had?