Interested in using this conversation guide? Click here to register your conversation with us!
(Doing so helps us improve – thank you!)
What’s the big deal about gender? In this conversation we will explore biological sex, gender identity, and gender expression to better understand how these concepts impact your life and the lives of others. We will use the following definitions:
- Biological Sex- refers to the biological anatomy of an individual’s reproductive system, and secondary sex
characteristics (male, female, intersex, etc.)
- Gender Identity- an individual’s concept/identity of themself (man, woman, trans, gender non conforming,
- Gender Expression- how individuals present themselves (masculine, feminine, androgynous, etc.)
Let's Get Started!
This Living Room Conversation flows through three rounds of questions and a closing. Some rounds ask you to answer each question. Others feature multiple questions that serve as conversation starters — you need only respond to the one or two you find most interesting.
Introductions: Getting Started/
Why Are We Here?
Round 1: Core Values
- What sense of purpose / mission / duty guides you in your life?
- What would your best friend say about who you are and what inspires you?
- What are your hopes and concerns for your community and/or the country?
- What do gender and sex mean to you? Are they interchangeable, do they conflict with each other?
- What do masculinity and femininity mean to you? How do you express masculinity and femininity?
- What is something you would do if you could break the rules or roles of gender for a day?
Round 3: Reflection & Next Steps
- In one sentence, share what was most meaningful or valuable to you in the experience of this Living Room Conversation?
- What new understanding or common ground did you find within this topic?
- Has this conversation changed your perception of anyone in this group, including yourself?
- Name one important thing that was accomplished here.
- Is there a next step you would like to take based upon the conversation you just had?