Faith Community: The Way Forward
Interested in using this conversation guide? Click here to register your conversation with us!
(Doing so helps us improve – thank you!)
Transitional times in faith communities may be accompanied by divisiveness about which changes are most urgent, how to achieve them, and the roles and limitations of realizing them. Change offers concerns as well as new opportunity. This Living Room Conversation is created with the intention of gathering individuals from a variety of viewpoints to discuss their hopes and dreams, and to discuss what a common agenda for the future would look like.
Let's Get Started!
Why We're Here (~10 min)
Share your name, where you live, what drew you here, and if this is your first conversation.
How We'll Engage (~5 min)
These will set the tone of our conversation; participants may volunteer to take turns reading them aloud. (Click here for the full conversation agreements.)
- Be curious and listen to understand.
- Show respect and suspend judgment.
- Note any common ground as well as any differences.
- Be authentic and welcome that from others.
- Be purposeful and to the point.
- Own and guide the conversation.
What We’ll Talk About
Optional: a participant can keep track of time and gently let people know when their time has elapsed.
Getting to Know Each Other (~10 min)
Each participant can take 1-2 minutes to answer one of these questions:
- What sense of purpose / mission / duty guides you in your life?
- What would your best friend say about who you are and what inspires you?
- What are your hopes and concerns for your community and/or the country?
What are your thoughts on Faith Community: The Way Forward? (~40 min)
One participant can volunteer to read the paragraph at the top of the web page.
Take ~2 minutes each to answer a question below without interruption or crosstalk. The group may choose to have everyone answer: A) whichever question speaks to them individually or B) the same question with an option to pass. Once everyone has answered, the group may take a few minutes for any clarifying or follow up questions/responses. Continue exploring with other topic or related questions as time allows.
- What is the promise of our faith community to its members? To the surrounding community?
- How are we living up to our promise to each other and to our faith promises?
- If you could change one thing about our faith community, what would it be? What experience brings you to this perspective?
- If you were creating a reconciling agenda for change to unite and energize our community, what would be on it?
Reflecting on the Conversation (~15 min)
Take 2 minutes to answer one of the following questions:
- In one sentence, share what was most meaningful or valuable to you in the experience of this Living Room Conversation?
- What new understanding or common ground did you find within this topic?
- Has this conversation changed your perception of anyone in this group, including yourself?
- Name one important thing that was accomplished here.
- Is there a next step you would like to take based upon the conversation you just had?