Interested in using this conversation guide? Click here to register your conversation with us!
(Doing so helps us improve – thank you!)
News and an independent press are a crucial part of a healthy democracy. The electorate needs good information to make informed decisions. What are the consequences of having fake news in our news mix? What is fake news? Is it possible to identify fake news so that consumers recognize it as such? Do we have a healthy media culture and if not what would a healthy media culture look like?
Background Information:While you don’t need to be an expert on this topic, sometimes people want background information. Our partner, AllSides, has prepared a variety of articles reflecting multiple sides of this topic.
Let's Get Started!
This Living Room Conversation flows through three rounds of questions and a closing. Some rounds ask you to answer each question. Others feature multiple questions that serve as conversation starters — you need only respond to the one or two you find most interesting.
Introductions: Getting Started/
Why Are We Here?
Round 1: Core Values
- What sense of purpose / mission / duty guides you in your life?
- What would your best friend say about who you are and what inspires you?
- What are your hopes and concerns for your community and/or the country?
What are your thoughts on Fake News?
- What is fake news? What makes it fake?
- Is fake news a problem? Why?
- How do you decide what news sources to trust?
- Have you ever discovered a story you had talked about or shared on social media was “fake news?” What happened
- What does a healthy news and social media landscape look like?
Round 3: Reflection & Next Steps
- In one sentence, share what was most meaningful or valuable to you in the experience of this Living Room Conversation?
- What new understanding or common ground did you find within this topic?
- Has this conversation changed your perception of anyone in this group, including yourself?
- Name one important thing that was accomplished here.
- Is there a next step you would like to take based upon the conversation you just had?