Faith in Politics
How do we respect the rights of individuals in their pursuit of happiness and maintain a cohesive culture in our country? Religion and faith are part of the human experience. This conversation allows us the opportunity to hear how others incorporate their faith into a lived experience and where we each believe the boundaries of faith exist.
Background Information:While you don’t need to be an expert on this topic, sometimes people want background information. Our partner, AllSides, has prepared a variety of articles reflecting multiple sides of this topic.
Let's Get Started!
This Living Room Conversation flows through three rounds of questions and a closing. Some rounds ask you to answer each question. Others feature multiple questions that serve as conversation starters — you need only respond to the one or two you find most interesting.
Introductions: Getting Started/
Why Are We Here?
Round 1: Core Values
- What sense of purpose / mission / duty guides you in your life?
- What would your best friend say about who you are and what inspires you?
- What are your hopes and concerns for your community and/or the country?
What are your thoughts on Faith in Politics?
- What type of influence would you like faith to have in our political system?
- Do you see religion as generally speaking a positive or negative influence in our political system? What in your experience leads you to this understanding?
- What does separation of church and state mean to you when it comes to the role of religion in government and of government in religion?
- What role should faith/religion play in our political system? Are there appropriate limits?
Round 3: Reflection & Next Steps
- In one sentence, share what was most meaningful or valuable to you in the experience of this Living Room Conversation?
- What new understanding or common ground did you find within this topic?
- Has this conversation changed your perception of anyone in this group, including yourself?
- Name one important thing that was accomplished here.
- Is there a next step you would like to take based upon the conversation you just had?