Not seeing all the events you're expecting? Try clearing your cache.
- This event has passed.
Weave The Social Fabric Living Room Conversation
September 20 @ 9:00 am - 10:30 am PDT
Weave the Social Fabric: Conversation 1
SEPT. 20, 2019 @ NOON ET / 9:00 AM PT (adjust for your time zone)
Many people sense that something is broken in society. Surveys show about half of young adult Americans are lonely. Opioid addiction, suicide, gun violence, ethnic tension and depression have been rising. We face rapid change from a globalized economy, cell phones and social media, job-hopping, online dating, immigration, and uncertainty about our future health and wealth. Our social fabric seems to be shredding. Others observe that the social fabric of our communities and nation was never really woven to include everyone in the first place. Yet, there have been many times as a country when people looked past their surface differences and came together as neighbors to support each other.
We’ve come together today to get to know each other, share our experience of isolation and connection, and consider how we might work together to build connections that allow us to feel recognized, respected and valued. Living Room Conversations has partnered with the Aspen Institute’s Weave Project and others to hold discussions across the country. Our aim is to explore what might be behind today’s rising sense of isolation, loneliness and distrust and what each of us can do to weave a strong social fabric.
HERE is the conversation guide. Some of the questions explored include:
- Is it easy or hard for you to connect with others who were raised differently, or live and think differently than you? What have you seen getting in the way of that from happening?
- Are there people in your community you feel close to? What makes you feel close?
- Describe a time, if ever, when you saw your neighborhood come together to have fun or face a common challenge.
- What do you think could be done to help bring your community together?
- What connection, if any, do you see between what is happening in our nation and what is happening in our neighborhoods or communities?
Registration closes 4 hours before the conversation begins.
You will need a device with a webcam to participate (preferably a computer or tablet rather than a cell phone).
Please only sign up for a place in this conversation if you are 100% certain that you can join – and thank you – we have many folks waiting to have Living Room Conversations and hope to have 100% attendance.
A link to join the conversation and additional details will be sent to you the day before the conversation.