Not seeing all the events you're expecting? Try clearing your cache.
- This event has passed.
Relationships Over Politics: 90-Minute Conversation w/ Optional 30-Minute Q & A with Hosts!
October 3, 2019 @ 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm PDT
Relationships Over Politics: Connecting With Friends and Family
Oct. 3, 2019 @ 7:00 PM ET / 4:00 PM PT (adjust for your time zone)
Is it possible to use Living Room Conversations with our families and close friends? It is ultimately challenging, because family are more likely to break ‘host and guest’ social norms. The emotional stakes are higher, conversations are colored by long, deeply personal histories and it can feel easier to ‘take the gloves off’ and fight dirty, unconstrained by the politeness usually offered acquaintances. How might we hold the tension of our differences while working to repair connection and not further deepen division within our circle of family and friends?
All sorts of people tell us they want to use the skills they practice in Living Room Conversations to help restore connection with friends and family. So, let’s use a Living Room Conversation to talk about just that! This Living Room Conversation will help us listen and learn about where we have different opinions, along with shared ideas about how to best navigate time with family & friends (who may not share our view of the world).
HERE is the conversation guide. Some of the questions explored include:
- What are your early memories of talking politics with family or friends? What things went well? Was there anything difficult?
- What assumptions do you think those close to you may be making about your political identity?
- What assumptions do you make about friends’/family political identities?
- What do you wish or hope could happen in conversations with your family and friends about meaningful differences between you? Are there any past successes that you might build upon?
- How could you prepare yourself to listen with genuine curiosity to your family and friends?
- When does love supersede politics (and when does it perhaps not)?
Registration will close 4 hours before the conversation begins.
You will need a device with a webcam to participate (preferably a computer or tablet rather than a cell phone).
Please only sign up for a place in this conversation if you are 100% certain that you can join – and thank you – we have many folks waiting to have Living Room Conversations and hope to have 100% attendance.
A link to join the conversation and additional details will be sent to you the day before the conversation.