Not seeing all the events you're expecting? Try clearing your cache.
Listening Courageously: 90-Minute Conversation w/ Optional 30-Minute Q & A with Hosts!
September 19 @ 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm PDT
SEP. 19, 2019 @ 7:00 pm ET / 4:00 pm PT (adjust for your time zone)
“Courage is the most important of all virtues, because without courage you cannot practice any of the other virtues consistently,” Dr. Maya Angelou said. When you think of being courageous, you might think of facing a common fear like the fear of heights or public speaking. Facing fears like these involves discomfort and uncertainty. We might wonder if the potential benefits will outweigh the potential risks. But why might it take courage to listen? How might listening to different points of view make us feel vulnerable or at risk? And what are the possible benefits?
HERE is the conversation guide. Some of the questions explored include:
- What does “courageous listening” mean for you? Describe any times you have listened, or been listened to in this way. What happened?
- What fears, if any, do you have about how you will feel or what you will say or do when listening to people whose beliefs differ from your own?
- How do you feel when there are silence and gaps in conversations? What are the potential benefits of giving a conversation breathing room?
- What are the potential benefits you might receive from listening to others with differing beliefs?
- What, if anything, are you willing to do to overcome fears about listening to those with different beliefs?
Registration will close 4 hours before the conversation begins.
You will need a device with a webcam to participate (preferably a computer or tablet rather than a cell phone).
Please only sign up for a place in this conversation if you are 100% certain that you can join – and thank you – we have many folks waiting to have Living Room Conversations and hope to have 100% attendance.
A link to join the conversation and additional details will be sent to you the day before the conversation.