Talking about . . . Trade Agreements, Jobs, Free Markets and the TPP
Have you heard about the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP)? Most folks who know about the agreement have some pretty strong feelings about it one way or the other!
The Obama Administration says that this trade agreement “will boost U.S. economic growth, support American jobs, and grow Made-in-America exports to some of the most dynamic and fastest growing countries in the world.” The agreement appears to have much support in both parties. Yet critics are complaining about the secrecy around both the negotiations and terms of the agreement as well as expressing concerns that the TPP will ultimately hurt American workers. What do you think?
Click here if you would like a pdf of the following topic material to share with your cohost and friends.
. . . .
Background reading (optional)
While you don't need to be an expert on this topic, sometimes people want background information. Our partner, AllSides, has prepared a variety of articles reflecting multiple sides of this topic.
. . . .
Want to listen to an actual Living Room Conversation?
Check out our listings on LRC Radio.
. . . .
Now that you are all together, here we go!
This Living Room Conversation flows through five rounds of questions and a closing. Some rounds ask you to answer each question. Others feature multiple questions that serve as conversation starters — you need only respond to the one or two you find most interesting.
Before you begin your conversation, please go over the Conversation Ground Rules with your participants.
. . . .
One. Why are we here?
- What interested you or drew you to this topic?
Two. Your core values
- what sense of purpose or duty guides you in life? What is your mission statement?
- what would your best friend say about who you are and what makes you tick?
- what are your hopes and concerns for your community and/or the country, now and long-term?
Three. What are your biggest concerns about guns and responsibility?
Remember that the goal of this Living Room Conversation is for each participant to listen to and learn about the different opinions within the group to see where you might share interests, intentions and goals.
- Have you or someone you know been impacted by a trade agreement? What happened?
- What do you know or have you heard about the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP)? How does this influence your support or opposition to TPP?
- How would you like to see trade agreements negotiated for the USA?
- Where is this issue on your top-10 list? Why?
- in one sentence, share what was most meaningful or valuable to you in the experience of this Living Room Conversation;
- what new understanding or common ground did you find within this topic?
- has this conversation changed your perception of anyone in this group, including yourself?
Five. Accomplishment and moving forward
- name one important thing that was accomplished here;
- is there a next step you would like to take based upon the conversation you just had?
Thank you! Please complete the feedback form to help us continue to improve Living Room Conversations.