|For the Day of Conversation - Entertainment & Media||Entertainment & Media||Overview, links to resources and conversation guide for the day of your conversation.|
|Invitation Sample||Invitation Sample|
The role and impact of our larger entertainment and media system has long been a source of lively discussion in America. Since the advent of the radio, then television, then cable, now internet - there have always been groups of people asking questions about what these advances in technology will mean for U.S. life - and what, if any, cautions or guidelines should be embraced to ensure their productive use. How do we consume entertainment? And what is the impact that we experience personally or in the community? What are your perspectives on entertainment and media issues? As co-hosts, seek to ensure that this discussion is an open space to hear varied perspectives on any media/entertainment related issues.
Rounds/Questions: The Living Room Conversation Starts Here
A Living Room Conversation flows through 5 rounds of questions and the closing. During some rounds, each question will be addressed. In other rounds, the multiple questions are intended as conversation starters and you need only respond to the one or two that matter the most to you. In the event the conversation wanders off track, we will refer to this Conversation Guide to get it back on track.
Round One: Getting Started / Why Are We Here?
● What interested you or drew you to this conversation?
Round Two: Core Values
Answer one or more of the following:
● What sense of purpose / mission / duty guides you in your life?
● What would your best friend say about who you are and what makes you “tick”?
● What are your hopes and concerns for your community and/or the country now and long-term?
Round Three: Entertainment and Media: Creating or Following Culture?
Remember that the goal for this Living Room Conversation is for all of us to listen and learn about where we have different opinions and where we have shared interests, intentions and goals. Answer one or more of the following questions:
● What is your favorite type of entertainment?
● What have you learned about other people from your entertainment?
● How close is your experience in real life compared to life presented in your entertainment?
● Were you ever surprised when what you learned in entertainment is different from real life? What happened?
● Have you ever been stereotyped by someone else? What happened?
● Has the media influenced the way you see other people?
Round Four: Reflection
Answer one or more of the following questions:
● In one sentence, share what was most meaningful / valuable to you in the experience of this Living Room Conversation.
● What learning, new understanding or common ground was found on this topic?
● Has this conversation changed your perception of anyone in this group, including yourself?
Round Five: Accomplishment and Next Steps
Answer both of the following questions:
● What is one important thing you thought was accomplished here?
● Is there a next step you would like to take based upon the conversation you just had?
Closing – Thank you! Please complete the feedback form (attached) to help improve Living Room Conversations.